Monday, August 24, 2009

Orientation: Day one

Korean time: Tuesday, August 25th, 6:32 A.M.

Well, so far, orientation has been...interesting! I found out that I will be teaching Elementary school, which really excites me. I love kids, and I think that I'm going to have so much fun! We are quarantined on this campus, but that's okay with me. It feels like a good transition before I'm released into the crazy streets.

I awoke yesterday at 5 A.M. due to the sun in my face and the fact that I was still on Texas time. I couldn't force myself to go back to sleep, so I went downstairs to smoke, where I found several other people in the same boat.

Breakfast was traditional Korean style, kimchi and fish-ball soup. Afterwards, a group of us went to walk around and explore campus. I would like to say that this area is scenically beautiful, but unfortunately it isn't. See for yourself:



The first thing that stood out to me was the pollution. The campus did, however, hold a few treasures. Wall murals, botanical gardens, and caged animals. Yes, there were caged chipmunks and ducks.

By the way, Asian ducks are somehow way cooler than American ducks, in case you wondered.

Lunch was more kimchi and some type of weird Spam omelet.



After lunch, we had our first round of actual orientation. The ceremony opened with a group of women in traditional dress playing these odd 24-stringed harps. They opened with what they knew the white people would like: Canon in D and Let It Be, among other things. The next three grueling hours came in the form of lectures... keep in mind that for my body, it was like trying to listen to 4 hours of class from 11 P.M. until 3 A.M. You should try it sometime. They chewed the fat on serious issues such as Korean history, SMOE history, and how to get a cell phone.

After that, dinner, and a few optional classes (Korean Culture, Survival Korean I)... I really tried to make it, but was falling asleep and decided to leave.

Today, I have my medical check in the morning, so I can't eat, drink anything (including water), or smoke until it's done. I am going to be so much fun to deal with until then!

The people here are OBSESSED with stopping the spread of H1N1 (Swine Flu). As I mentioned, we are being quarantined, though I'm not sure if it has much to do with health. However, we're required to take our temperatures every day and submit some paperwork to the office.

Otherwise, things are really nice. The people are friendly and they are really taking care of us. I am already sick of kimchi, which I need to get over ASAP, since it is a staple of the cuisine... I WILL LOVE IT.

Today, real teacher training actually begins. I am curious to see who is going to take it seriously, and who is going to buckle when they realize we aren't here to party. Also, let's pray that nobody gets sent home with the HIV.

3 comments:

  1. Are they as uptight about smokers as people are here in the states?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A) ELEMENTARY! YAY!!! We are twinsies now
    B) I love and miss you
    C) They got it wrong when they decided all Americans love Canon in D..

    :) I'm glad you made it. I thought of you ALL day Saturday. Every time you popped up into my head I was like, "She is STILL flying."

    P.S. It's 10am there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! Somebody else is blogging about the orientation.

    I want to add here that I really like how we're being 'quarantined' yet we have contact with Korean students from the campus, cooking staff, and other Koreans who come and go, on and off campus . . . very effective quarantine, eh?

    Anyways, nice post.
    J
    aka, kimchi-icecream.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete