Tuesday, September 1, 2009

First week pre-quarantine.

Hey guys.

It's been a long week. Sorry I haven't updated regularly. Internet has not been stable. I can get online at work but I'm usually too busy to blog. Also, I've been lazy. :)

So the remainder of orientation week was interesting. It can probably be summed up in a haiku:

Bored and quarantined
Our first week in Korea
Kimchi for breakfast.

So the first week was kind of silly, but I did learn a few things and I met some really awesome and cool people and I can truly say that knowing them is going to make my life here easier. They come from all over the world.. the U.S., Canada, UK, etc. I haven't spent a single day alone yet and I look forward to exploring this wonderful city with my new friends!

I moved into my new apartment on Saturday. I met one of the teaching staff who is in charge of the foreign teachers. She is incredibly sweet and has taken care of me very well. We went to E-mart and I bought some necessities. She took me to a foreigner church the next morning. She has really been great.

I live in the Gangnam (강남)district which is the business center of Seoul. It's like living in NYC. Skyscrapers galore. It's really a huge cultural adjustment for me, not only because I am in another country but because I have never lived in a large city. I'm adjusting to all of the people and the subways and all of the city life, but also the language! I think I'm doing ok. I miss home though :(.

Yesterday was my first day at work. My coteacher is a really nice girl. She's younger than me (just graduated from university) but she and I work great together I think. We are teaching 3rd and 6th grade at Bang-il elementary. The kids are sweet and awesome.

I am tired right now. Sorry for the lame updates, haha. If you'll follow my facebook, I update more often. :)

1 comment:

  1. I have nominated you for a blog award. Check it out :)

    http://angelarenai.blogspot.com/

    -Angela

    ReplyDelete