Sunday, August 23, 2009

I'm here!

Korean time: 10:18 P.M., Sunday, August 23rd

Hey everyone! I made it to Seoul! I'm super tired right now, since I haven't slept in nearly 35 hours... but everything is great! Here's a summary of my last 2 days...sorry for the sleepy-rantness, but you know...

I got a call from American Airlines at 7 p.m. Friday telling me that my flight to LA had been cancelled! I was completely stressed about it, but we were able to work it out to where my mom would drive me to OKC and I'd fly out from there instead... so... we woke up at 2 A.M. Saturday morning and made the drive.

My layover at DFW was extremely short (30 mins between landing time and boarding time) but I figured I'd be alright. So, I'm chillaxin' on the plane, ready to take off from OKC, and I realize that people are unloading luggage from the plane. I'm like whutttt and these people behind me were like whuttttt that's our luggage! And the flight attendants were being all rude about it, like "I don't know where your freakin' luggage is and quite frankly I don't care"... anyway... so the flight was delayed TWENTY MINUTES! And, I didn't even know if I had my luggage!

So I showed up at DFW at 8:20, and the flight was boarding at 8:30. I ran so fast but still had to take the SkyLink, which was taking its sweet time. I made it to the gate JUST as they were doing the "all passengers now boarding" call.

Then, my flight from DFW was delayed for a few minutes, but I made it in time. I had to go re-claim my baggage (which did show up...yay!!!) and then re-check into Korean Airlines. I made it in plenty of time, though.

The flight from LA to Seoul was loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong. Yes, I would like to illustrate how long it was by the use of that adjective. Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong. 14 hours. Thankfully, though, Korean Airlines is badass and provided free wine and some glorious meals. The first one was a type of bibambap with seaweed soup and some fresh fruit. Then we had this odd sweet bun with meat and cheese for a snack... Did I mention there was free wine? And lots of movies to keep us entertained?

To make things even cooler, I was seated next to another girl who is working for SMOE (Kristin) and another English teacher (Amanda), so we talked pretty much the entire time.

When we got to the airport, it really finally started to set in that I was on another continent. Everything was so homogeneous and pure. They had a lot of American things at the airport, like a Dunkin Donuts.

We rode an un-air-conditioned bus 1.5 hours to get to the University where we are training, and checked in. I am rooming with Kristin (yay!) we are staying in dorm rooms... they are small and cute. And the elevators are very futuristic.

I wish I could be more descriptive but things are still setting in. I will have pictures once I can use my own computer. Stay tuned!!!

1 comment: